The library carnival held annually at the Central Library, University of Malaya provides an opportunity for the library and its staff to highlight their services and resources to students, staff, and faculty during the event. This year the event was held on 26th – 27th September, an extension by a day and themed “Ice Cream Social”. Instead of giving out goody bags, users who took part in the activities could claim an icecream at the exit of the library.
Among the activities that we carried out were :
1) Speed Reading Workshop – facilitated by Mr Azlan Chulan, the workshop was attended by over thirty participants. Overall. Majority said the session has improved their reading speed tremendously.
2) E-Resources Clinic (Online Databases, ISI, Endnote, Turnitin etc) – handled by vendors such as Sage, Access Dunia, Elsevier and Turnitin a representative from Turnitin
3) Fines Amnesty – 20% of fines for late returns
4) E-Services Clinic (Document Delivery, Information Skills Session)
5) Digital@UM (UM Research Repository, Students’ Repository, etc.)
6) Kahoot – game based learning platform
7) Book Shelving Contest
8) Museum of Asian Arts & UM Art Gallery Corner
9) Video Screening
10) Library Guided Tours
11) Treasure Hunt
12) Awards for Top Borrowers
13) Come & Experience Augmented & Virtual Reality Tools
14) Social Media Activities and many other exciting & stimulating
Altogether there were 990 visits to all the booths.
Siti Juryiah Mohd Khalid
Client Services Division